DEER PARK - 77536
Simeon Henry West, a Yankee from Illinois dreamt of a town full of opportunity. Started in December 1892, West had the city's first hotel and post office built by the end of 1893. When the Great Hurricane of 1900 came through the area and wiped out all the towns, Deer Park was not exempt. Most of the towns' homes, crops and livestock had been destroyed. This pushed most of the settlers back north, except for a few families. In 1928, Shell Oil Company broke ground on a new refinery and revitalized the economy of Deer Park. The city named after the large number of deer that roamed the Gulf Plains, was incorporated in December 12, 1948. Today Deer Park has more than 30,000 residents who enjoy the community's theater, the San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site, the Battleground Golf Coarse, Patrick's Cabin, and numerous area parks and recreational facilities.