LEAGUE CITY - 77573
Formally a Karankawa Indian village, League City went through many name and real estate changes before it was incorporated in 1962. George W. Butler was the town's first resident. Hailing from Louisiana in 1873, he settled near Clear Creek and Chigger Bayou. The town was laid out on the Galveston, Houston and Henderson Railroad line and was officially established by J.C. League, the cities namesake, in the late 1890s. Originally a farming town, League City residents and visitors now enjoy a wide variety of restaurants, sport recreational facilities and city parks and gardens.
Texas Handbook - League City